Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Unless the Lord Builds the House...


Ps 127:1... "Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain."

I preached on this verse at Park Place Baptist Church yesterday; afterwhich, I was voted in as their new interim pastor. Aleta & I have prayed & weighed & sought counsel on this one; and find ourselves accepting this ministry in a church that, just four weeks ago voted on whether or not to close their doors.

Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.

I am overflowing with gratitidue for the Lord's provision of both a job & a ministry... And it is true that I am a builder; but the things I've built out of my own good ideas, strength, & independent resources have proven to be little more than the fleeting structure pictured at the feet of this proud little boy. I know that the blueprints, the tools, the workers, the timing, the climate, & the strength for building something meaningful & lasting all come from the true Builder - Jesus Christ.

"Oh Father, I cannot help this church; I cannot bring about change; I cannot bring healing or growth ... but You can. If You have called us to this place, Lord, then I believe it is not only for our good but for these brothers & sisters in Your family as well. Please build this house."

2 comments:

Becky Foster said...

Coongratulations John! I hope this will be a wonderful ministry for you.

Yes, how often we all forget this verse. I have a tendency to begin things with a right perspective, knowing that I can do nothing and God can do all. Then as things go well I begin to think that I am doing it and start to rely on myself. Then it is me who is building, not God and I wonder why things don't go so well:) I pray that one day God will deliver me from this tendency.

John Lynch said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Becky, & for your experience of this. Today, while praying, I had the thought that such Psalm 127:1 dependence takes TIME to cultivate & TIME to harvest from. For me, that's one more significant piece in this journey toward total surrender & supernatural faith. Blessings!