Saturday, August 06, 2005

I Want to be a "Seeker"

I wander... a lot. I'm frequently distracted by temptation and ambition and self service. In contrast to my wandering tendency, there are these verses I've been meditating on: Psalm 119:10... "With all my heart I have sought You; do not let me wander from Your instructions." & Psalm 105:3-4... "Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad. Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His face continually."

I want to be a seeker.

In today's church culture, we've recast the words "seek" & "seeker" to indicate someone who's driving around the neighborhood of faith, but hasn't found the right address. Their "seeking" is a looking for the correct destination.

The difference between that kind of seeker, the seeker for which "seeker services" are devoted, & myself - is that I am part of a group of seekers who know our destination. In fact, that's why we're seeking! We know exactly who... or Who, we're looking for. He is Jesus, the second person of the divine Trinity, God incarnate, the Almighty One who loves us & calls us to "draw near" to Himself so that He may draw near in return (Jms 4:8).

I want to be a seeker... a seeker of that Person! Not a seeker of divine provision, or a seeker of blessing, or even a seeker of heaven. Those are all fine, but I want to seek the Person... That is the antidote for "wandering."

"As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul longs for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; when shall I come and appear before God?" (Psalm 42:1-2).

No comments: