Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"Sit... Stay."

"To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in You I trust...
Indeed, none of those who wait for You will be ashamed."
~ Psalm 25:1-3

Waiting is so dependently passive.
I suppose that is what I love in my Sspirit & hate in my flesh about it.

"When you are waiting for a train, don’t keep perpetually looking to see if it is coming. The time of its arrival is the business of the conductor, not yours. It will not come any sooner for all your nervous glances and your impatient pacing, and you will save strength if you will keep quiet. After we discover that the people who sit still on a long railroad journey reach that journey’s end at precisely the same time as those who “fuss” continually, we have a valuable piece of information which we should not fail to put to practical use."
~ Anna C. Brackett (1836–1911), U.S. author. The Technique of Rest, ch. 2 (1892).

"Stay." That's what we tell our dogs when we want them to wait somewhere. I wonder if they feel what we feel when were told the same by our God. Do we not swell with an impulse to move & wiggle & investigate & sniff & bark & run? Do we not sense the struggle between that urge & the voice of our Master, telling us to "stay", even though we don't know what we're waiting for?

Psalm 62:1... "My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation."

No comments: