Monday, February 13, 2006

Thoughts vs Feelings

Why do we place so much value on thought & so little value on emotions? Some say because we're more responsible for choosing than feeling. But that assumes that choosing is a "thought" thing... and it's not. The prefontal lobe (the choosing part of your brain) is actually TOTALLY SEPARATE from your thinking neocortex (the cognitive part of your brain). And separate from both of those is your limic system (the emotional part of your brain).

So why are we so attentive to the world of our thoughts & so inattentive to the world of our feelings? ...and how ironic is it that I write this post with such thought-oriented, feeling-void content? Perhaps words are the language of thought? So what is the language of feeling?

2 comments:

Joshua said...

My thoughts and feelings are so jumbled these days. I can't tell one from the other. It's weird how the brain will try to take care, yet without The Lord I could never recover from this mess.

John Lynch said...

Yeah, man... I hear you. There are voices of thought, feeling, & will. Praise God, we also have a Sspirit (God's Spirit joined with our spirit) that seeks an influential audience with all three through prayerful awareness.

Henri Nouwen describes prayer as a "furnace of transformation." In The Way of the Heart he writes, "In solitude I get rid of my scaffolding; no friends to talk with, no telephone calls to make, no meetings to attend, no music to entertain, no books to distract, just me - naked, vulnerable, weak, sinful… As soon as I decide to stay in my solitude, confusing ideas, disturbing images, wild fantasies, and weird associations jump about in my mind like monkeys in banana trees. Anger and greed begin to show their ugly faces. I give long hostile speeches to my enemies, and dream lustful dreams where I am wealthy, influential, and very attractive… Thus I try to restore my false self in all its vainglory." (The Way of the Heart, HarperSanFrancisco, 1991, p 15.)

May Christ speak light, order, & new life into the formless & void world you're feeling now, brother... both through the community of light around you & through the discipline of prayerful solitute that will transform this suffering into something with immeasurable glory for your own great benefit. I love you & I'm with you.