Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Gratitude

I've noticed recently something lacking in virtually every blog I read ... thanksgiving. We theorize, theologize, philosophize, criticize, & even plagarize all over our sites... but we do not give thanks. The Bible says, "Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His face continually. Remember His wonders which He has done" (Psalm 105:3-4).

I would like to take a brief moment to remember a particular wonder God has done in my life...

Eight years ago (as a much younger & thinner man) I met an 18 year old hotty who reluctantly dated me for a few weeks before leaving for college out of state. Being the ever dense & stubborn ox that I am, I continued to pursue her on the phone for the next two years, falling deeply in love with her. Convinced there was simply no hope of getting rid of me, she encouraged me to move to where she was so we could do this relationship thing for real. So with my 1990 Ford Tempo packed to the roof, Boston blaring through my 4" speakers & my best bro riding copilot, I did just that. A year later we were engaged; two years later we were married; & three years after that I find myself on my anniversary day, typing an all-too-brief summary of how I found, fell in love with, & married my wife, Aleta.

The journey has had it's painful struggles... struggles that transformed both of us into people we never thought we could be. But now, I feel no pain or struggle... only thankfulness bubbling up inside me every time I open my eyes & see her sleeping next to me (even if her elbow is firmly planted on my forehead).

This, for me, is very much one of the "wonders which He has done"; & I give public thanks & praise to my God for blessing me more than I ever thought I would be blessed... & for continuing to grow those blessings in & around me!

There!!! Take that - you crotchety postmodern generation!!!

5 comments:

kevin beck said...

John,
Happy anniversary! Great story. It reminds me of how my lovely wife and I met. Thank God!

Mike said...

John,

I have been thinking a lot about gratitude lately. Bitterness is the opposite and a resut of choosing your perspective in life. The same thing can happen to two different people and because of thier perspective, faith, choice one may become bitter the other greatful. I pray I and many more choose God and gratitude.

PS I love the lost links!

Also what does the (np) mean in the links sections?

John Lynch said...

That's exactly how I feel, Kevin!!

Hey Mike! I totally agree with you, man. It's all a matter of how our heart is inclined. Kind of casts more light on the whole "guard your heart" thing, huh?

By the way - "np" is a lil' note for me that means "narly person" ... (kidding) ... actually it means "no profile" available. Normally I link to blogger profiles for access to multiple blogs, but np means I go straight to the blog. Peace out homeboy! (P.S. Nice hot tub!)

John DelHousaye said...

How ironic: I was similarly convicted, and am composing a thanksgiving prayer for our Good Friday service. In light of your comment, I will post it. Per your comment, I serve at Echo Mountain Church as a (volunteer) pastor.

Hope your community experiences all the blessings of Easter.

John Lynch said...

Thanks John... May yours, as well!