Saturday, April 01, 2006

Tin Man

In the famous movie, The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy comes across a Tin woodman frozen with rust in the forest. In the book, however, there is a powerful explanation as to how he became tin to begin with. You see, the Tin-Man was once a REAL man, in love with a beautiful maiden. The Wicked Witch of the West hated their love & cast a spell on him that caused injury. So, one-by-one, the woodman's limbs needed to be replaced with artificial ones made of tin.

At first, it seemed an advantage because he could work so efficiently with his unfeeling & untiring tin arms & legs. The Tin Man explains to Dorothy & the Scarecrow, "I thought I had beaten the Wicked Witch then, and I worked harder than ever; but I little knew how cruel my enemy could be. She thought of a new way to kill my love for the beautiful Munchkin maiden, and made my axe slip again, so that it cut right through my body, splitting it into two halves. Once more the tinner came to my help and made me a body of tin. Fastening my tin arms and legs and head to it, by means of joints, so that I could move around as well as ever. But alas! I now had no heart, so that I lost all my love for the Munchkin girl, and did not care whether I married her or not."

John Eldredge comments, "Notice, there was a man who was once real and alive and in love. But after a series of blows, his humanity was reduced to efficiency. He became a sort of machine - a hollow man. At first, he did not even notice, for his condition made him an excellent woodman, as any person can become productive like a machine when he forgoes his heart."

I think our culture & world teach us to be like the Tin Man ... to shut off our hearts & live from our ever-efficient minds & cease to feel. It is the master strategy of our enemy, the devil. For without a heart, who can receive or give love? ...even God's love?

20th century philosopher Mason Cooley writes ... "The mind scolds the heart, which makes excuses and goes its own way."

No comments: