Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Community of Wounded Healers

As I am blessed to counsel people & as I walk the journey toward becoming fully alive myself, I am profoundly impacted by verses like Psalm 41:4... "As for me, I said, 'O Lord, be gracious to me; heal my soul, for I have sinned against You.'"

Sin gashes & rips the soul - the heart - to pieces. It opposes healing. It opposes life. A counseling path that's not saturated with repentance gains little if any ground. In contrast, a road marked with authentic repentance invites God not only to forgive us, but to heal us. There is something in this that relates to being an incarnational, missional community.

Henri Nouwen has written a book called The Wounded Healer, in which he says, "Nobody escapes being wounded. We all are wounded people, whether physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually. The main question is not 'How can we hide our wounds?' so we don't have to be embarrassed, but 'How can we put our woundedness in the service of others?' When our wounds cease to be a source of shame, and become a source of healing, we have become wounded healers."

What would we look like if we became communities of wounded healers?

Thread: Healing

1 comment:

John Lynch said...

Maybe this fits with the value, "Wholistic, Messianic Spirituality"?