Friday, September 01, 2006

Who You Know, Not What You Know

  • Sunday I had lunch with a newcomer to the church I serve.
  • The week before, she had met an elderly neighbor who was having trouble paying for medication.
  • This week she emailed me with a question about what she could do to help him.
  • Yesterday I forwarded her question to a friend with a background in social work & counseling psychology.
  • Today he emailed her back with several practical options & additional related resources.

It's not what you know. It's who you know.

  • 18 months ago I began looking for a ministry job that would fit with the progression of preparation God had me at & would fit with Aleta's remaining 2-year school commitment.
  • Last spring I spoke with a woman at the seminary I attended about her ideas.
  • A few weeks later, she contacted the regional interim ministry director for her denomination.
  • A few weeks after that, the interim ministry director contacted a church that had been unsuccessful in their interim pastoral search.
  • That week, I received a call from Park Place Baptist Church, where I presently serve & with whom I have entered into a mutual 2-year ministry agreement.

It's not what you know. It's who you know.

  • Last year, with all my institutional assumptions about ministry method, Aleta & were praying for where to go in our big transitional season coming summer, 2007.
  • Last April, I went to San Diego with a group of fellas... among whom were Zack & Matt, who had recently begun what they were calling a "missional community" in Phoenix.
  • Last July, Mike Scheid (bitten by a similar missional-ministry bug) encouraged me to read a book by Frost & Hirsch on incarnational ministry.
  • Now, Aleta & I are committed to a similar vision as Zack, Matt, & Mike & are only looking for a context to plant ourselves.

It's not what you know. It's who you know.

God works in community. What if, instead of feeling the need to individually have all the answers & resources, we pursued people in community who would collectively have all the answers & resources? How Acts 2 would that be?

Thread: Acts 2 Communal Living

No comments: