Thursday, October 05, 2006

What is Church?

I was reflecting and praying this morning while I heard a song from Nickel Back about remembering childhood. I remember playing house and one time specifically in elementary school we played church. This boy and girl who were "going out" wanted to "get married" and I remember that when the kids were picking roles to play I was hurt becasue I was not asked to "officiate" the union. I seemed like the natural pick, after all pretty much everyone in my family was in the ministry.

My thoughts turned to today. I still want to "play" church. I want church to be somewhere I "go"or something I "do." "Someday" I told folks, "I will go into the ministry." Hmmm, I think, the church that Christ set up was "where two or more are gathered." Well then, church isn't what I was thinking it was, you really can't "play" church or "go" into the ministry." Church, Christ's Church, is something we ARE and because we ARE the church we minister to others.

"Be a light set upon a hill" right? Seems I have always been told that because I follow Jesus that others will look more closely at my life, and that has always proved true. How very cool, folks around me get to see the church when they see me at work or with my family or hanging out with my friends. Becasue I AM church and not "playing" church I also have a natural filter. Remember the WWJD days...well how about "would you do that in church?"...but then again can you be IN church?
.

2 comments:

Makeesha said...

I like that picture from your memory - playing church. good stuff.

John Lynch said...

I recently shared some of our emerging vision for incarnational living with a guy who responded with flat opposition. He said that he can't get fed like he does with the professional teaching of his church's nationally reknown Pastor So-and-So; & without the mega-institutional model, that wouldn't happen. When I suggested that might be a little consumeristic, he said Christians need to be consumeristic because we have to receive to give. Just like you say, Juice, I'm convicted that we really have turned the self-sacrificial, Christ-following Gospel into something else.

Heb 5:12-14... You have been Christians a long time now, and you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things a beginner must learn about the Scriptures. You are like babies who drink only milk and cannot eat solid food. And a person who is living on milk isn't very far along in the Christian life and doesn't know much about doing what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who have trained themselves to recognize the difference between right and wrong and then do what is right. (NLT)