Thursday, November 09, 2006

God's Will or My Will?

In the search to understand God's will, many people seek to hear God solely as a device for securing their own safety, comfort and righteousness. An extreme preoccupation with knowing God's will may indicate, contrary to what is often thought, that I am overconcerned with myself, not that I have a Christlike interest in the well-being of others or in the glory of God.

In The Secret of Guidance, Frederick B. Meyer writes, "So long as there is some thought of personal advantage, some idea of acquiring the praise and commendation of men, it will be simply impossible to find out God's purpose conerning us." Nothing will go right in our effort to hear God if this false motivation is its foundation. God simply will not cooperate. We must discover a different type of motivation for knowing God's will and listening to his voice. -D.W.

John 12:24-25 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

Remember, we are not giving up our life to have it replaced only after we get into heaven. The eternal life that Christ came to provide begins NOW!

1 comment:

John Lynch said...

This is so deep & so radical for me, Quentin. I believe all you have written; & I've begun to see it all clearly communicated in the Word. But TOTALLY resisting sin, TOTALLY exercising faith, TOTALLY denying self... it's new territory for me.

I now see the connections between any one area of self-life & every other area of darkness & death. It really is all or nothing. When I don't compromise, the struggle is easier in all areas. When I compromise in the smallest, subtlest & most insignificant of ways, however, all my vulnerabilities explode into full rebellion.

All or nothing. Hot or cold. Light or darkness. I cannot serve two masters. Good word, brother.

Life & peace.