Sunday, November 05, 2006

Love One Another

I'm still pushing through The Connecting Church by Randy Frazee - It's a lot to take in. This morning I read something that really convicted me. It's in his chapter called Rediscovering Biblical Purpose:

"Jesus once declared that those around us will know we are his disciples by our love for one another. Consider this: In a culture of individualism, when do non-Christians get to see other Christians loving each other in such a way that it compels them to run to Christ? The church has all too often mirrored the culture by making Christianity an individual sport. In our current small group structure we tend to huddle together with other Christians and care for each other and pray for each other - but the non-Christian never gets to see any of this."

So, when was the last time I invited an unchurched friend into my small group? I can't remember a time in the last year that I have.

2 comments:

John Lynch said...

Right on Aleta. This new life... the Real Life Together... it's not to be centered on us. It's centered only on Christ & dispensed for the world, of which we're a part. So many of us are comfortable with our churches & our small groups & our relevant programs & our paid ministers... but what about the rest of the world?

That's one of the fiercest questions I feel branded on my heart. It keeps me up at night & churns my insides. "What about the rest of the world?"

O God, we're children with unclean lips. Please bring the coal, cleanse us, & send us Lord... for here we are!

John Lynch said...

As I continue to reread this post, I'm growing increasingly fired up by that question, "When do non-Christians get to see other Christians loving each other in such a way that it compels them to run to Christ?"

I'm so grateful for your insight into this, babe! What a joyous journey we have in answering that question!