Friday, December 22, 2006

Fermi Project's "Q" Conference

The Q Conference...
"18 of the world's most cutting edge leaders speak out in an open-forum, high-impact presentation on shaping the future culture of the West & the world. Andy Crouch, Andy Stanley, Rob Bell, Rick McKinley & more come together in a chorus of innovators, social entrepreneurs, entertainers, artists, church shapers, futurists, scientists, historians, environmentalists and everyday people doing extraordinary things to change our world!"

The event is by invitation only & must be applied for... & oh yeah, it's $725 a pop! (play record-scratching sound here). What? $725? Yah!!! ... Also, 14 of the 18 speakers are white males (Jeff Johnson & Majora Carter are the only black speakers).

I'm a strong supporter of the individuals who make up the presentation team & I value them as sisters & brothers in Christ & as partners in the mission He's given us. Nevertheless, I'm left wide-eyed & bewildered as I scratch my over-scratched head & wonder, "What kind of revolution is this?"

7 comments:

Bob Carder said...

John, I'm with you! The only difference is that I'm scratching the hair off my head.

John Lynch said...

No difference there either, brother! I'm 33 with the hairline of a 60 year old. (If only I had the wisdom of one!)

Thanks for the comment. It's good to know I'm not totally in left field in my surprise.

Life & peace, Bob. Press on!

Makeesha said...

WHAT THE %&$%$#??!!! Not only is that just insane but it's insulting. I'm saddened that Bell would participate in something that charges that much. I would peg him as someone who wouldn't go for that.

o2thoughtful said...

I didn't think it was that steep! Maybe it's a currency advantage that's in my favour though. Regardless of ethnicity and gender, these are great speakers I'm sure and it will surely be quite an inspirational conference. Lets not knock it before we've heard it. Is anyone going?

Makeesha said...

are you serious? going? ummm...no. Alan Hirsch and other missional "heavies" are running an online class for 3 months that is cheaper than that. And for a little more you go for 6 months. I'm sure the conference is fantastic but the price is beyond acceptable

Shinababble said...

Hey John! Thanks for your post about Q. I am one of the creators of the event. It would be great to talk with you about your concerns. This is a new creation - we obviously don't have everything figured out and its always great to hear concerns or doubts from people, along with potential solutions to the concerns. Maybe we can get on the phone and talk about it, not to mention find a way for you to join us. Thanks for the post!

John Lynch said...

Hi Jeff (shinababble) & thanks for your comment. If you have time, I think our method of approaching & helping along this contemporary Western Christian reformation is a worthy discussion that many might benefit from. For that reason, I'd like to respond to your comment with an original post & invite you & others to engage the subject in a way that allows people to reflect on what's been said & let it shape them. Thanks much, brother; & many blessings on you as you continue to strive toward the person & work of Jesus. (Responsive Post, 1/8/06, titled "Q Conference, part 2")