Monday, December 18, 2006

Good Morning Vietnam and the Progressive Church

Seen the movie? Here's the synopsis and if you haven't seen, please do, cause I think it fits: Robin Williams shakes up 1965 Saigon in the role the critics agree he was born to play - irreverent, non-conformist deejay Adrian Cronauer. Imported by the army for an early a.m. radio show, Cronauer blasts the formerly staid, sanitized airways with a constant barrage of rapid-fire humour and the hippiest tunes from back home. The G.I.s love him - but the top brass is outraged!

Sometimes I feel abit like Adrian (Aaaadrrrriiiiaaaaannnnnn! - but that's another movie). The 'old system' hates deviating from what's 'normal' but there's a tremendous cry from those in the trenches that scream, "Please, keep going, we need this!" When Adrian is about to call it quits, we runs into a bunch of troops stuck on the road and he sees their faces and through a series of funny interactions he realizes that no matter what the status-quo says, he must keep going, he must keep doing what he's doing because it's touching so many lives that otherwise would not be touched.

See the movie in the light of what we are in now... "You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll move you." :-)

Shalom

5 comments:

John Lynch said...

Renewal is an uphill battle, but one worth waging. And with our leadership & strength coming from the supernatural flow of God's Spirit, we are destined to pierce the skin of complacency & discover at least some of the fullness Christ promises & commands. Press on "Adrian"! As the Lord leads!

John Lynch said...

Interesting reaction to David's post & my comments to it here

o2thoughtful said...

David/John,

Just read through the post again and I think I read it wrongly the first time and so I'm sorry for that. I guess the desire for change and to do things better that we see in many is coming out in support for those willing to step out, like you guys, and take a risk of being challenged by your existing leaders.

All I'd say is my own experience is that every time I think I've finally worked out what the way forward is, God shows me something new that makes me wish I;d never opened my mouth. Lets lead by being servants, with grace but with great vision and hope.

Sorry again for the misreading.

Al said...

I can so relate to that... This growth we're growing is humbling indeed. The more I know, the less I realize I know! May we walk in love & truth... in uncompromising obedience & unconditional love. Thanks for your continued insight, o2thoughtful! I'm happy to have found your blog & am eager to keep reading! ~ Peace in Christ.

o2thoughtful said...

Thanks AL, I appreciate that.