Thursday, February 15, 2007

Says Who?

The Bible spends a lot of time talking about an amazing character named David. He was full of faith and folly; and like us, was capable of both heroic courage and violent self-centeredness. But through it all, David had an anchor he kept coming back to... the heart of God.

He prays in Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way." It's the prayer of a person who's given up trying to figure out how they're doing.

Too often we self-approve or self-condemn, taking the initiative to make judgment calls on ourselves, our lifestyle, our community, even our world. My question today is, "Says who?". Are we really that capable?

God says "I do not see as you see, for people look at the outward appearance, but I look at the heart" (1 Samual 16:7). If God really is concerned with sharing His truth with us, is it possible for Him to tell us if there are any "hurtful ways" in us and "lead us in the everlasting way"? Of course it is! The incarnation assures us of God's intention for clear communication and leadership in our lives.

S o . . . .H o w .a r e .y o u .d o i n g ?
. . . S a y s .w h o ?
.

No comments: