Monday, July 16, 2007

2008 Election // Important Dates

In Preparing for Primary Elections
* NOTE... Primaries may be closed (partisan), allowing only declared party members to vote, or open (nonpartisan), enabling all voters to choose which party's primary to participate in. If you're not sure, it's a good idea to make sure you're registered with the political party in whose primary election you intend on participating.

1/7/08 - 29 Day Close of Registration. First day Absentee Ballots are available - Last day to register to vote in order to receive a Sample Ballot & State Ballot Pamphlet (EC 3001, 3003)

1/21/08 - Close of Registration. Voters registering between January 7th & 21st will receive notification of their polling place, but will not receive any other voter information. (EC 2102, 2107)

1/22/08 - New Hampshire Primary (first state primary, very significant, often propelling candidates to party nominations)

1/29/08 - Last day to Request an Absentee Ballot by mail. (EC 3001) After this date, voters must be present to receive an absentee ballot.

Super Tuesday, 2/5/08 - Major Primary Elections. Polls open at 7:00am. Polls close at 8:00pm.

( Previous Presidential Posts to Peruse: 1, 2, 3 )

6 comments:

Joy said...

John,

Thanks for all the work you are doing on this. I need to come over and get caught up.

In NC, the PE are closed. I recently changed party affiliation, because I want to vote a certain way in the PE that I could not have being registered as I was.

Bob Carder said...

I can hardly wait for this, whatever it is.

John Lynch said...

pJoy, I'm about to do the same thing!

Bob, you crack me up! In short, the Primary Elections are the state elections determining party nominations. They influence who will be representing each party in the presidential race. Lot's more at Wikipedia.

Joy said...

John,

Did you catch the debate??

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the lagging posts lately! I've been out of town and away from a functional computer.

Joy, I DID catch the CNN YouTube Democratic Debate... awesome!!! The best debate forum I've ever seen & I thought Anderson Cooper did a fantastic job keeping the process rolling & the candidates in check.

Others can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/debates.

Peace!

- John Lynch

Joy said...

John,

I too found the debate to be engaging, funny and informational... Not at all canned!

My only beef would be that Gravel, who I think brings a lot to the table, whether he is a viable candidate or not, was not allowed more time... Same for Kucinch. I had no idea about either of these guys, but really like them!