Thursday, December 20, 2007

Lynch Update December 2008

It's been such a ride these past two months. I feel like I say that a lot... but it's always true. Aleta now has a stellar design job. I've been promoted and have received a few raises. Our Friday gathering continues to take shape. I've begun encountering opportunities to help some friends discover the emotional freedom we all so desperately need. The Lord's begun developing in me a drive for some specific friendships.

Meanwhile, as we live in this temporary house in Phoenix, we've seen no further leading or confirmation that Tempe is where God wants us. Not even a scratch-your-head kinda-cool open door in that direction. With that, we're forming a number of relational connections right here in North Phoenix. Not sure what to make of all that.

My job has become more demanding (temporarily) and time management has become an ever-increasing struggle for me. I recognize that God has called me to live a replicable life of discipleship that any ordinary person could imitate; but this is tough! Even without kids!

I've been resting heavily in the theme of God's love. Reading through the Gospel of John... in John 13-ish these days. Rich stuff that speaks life to my heart and helps me understand more fully the gospel I'm so gratefully participating in. Such love... such grace... such glory... such is our God. In the presence of such personal overwhelming love for me, for His children, and for all His creation, how can I not but love Him with all of my person?

I've also been thinking more about simple, relational, Christ-demonstrated rhythms of discipleship and less about the notion of starting a movement or community or missional / experimental whatever. Eager to continue increasingly investing in those God leads me to and places near me. I have a few already He's allowed me to give myself to... the theme I understand to lie at the very heart of discipleship.

Aleta and I are still growing together... still loving each other. I'm still adoring her and am eager to love her better with each week. Another pressing reason for me to figure out this time management thing. Life is a deep struggle... and an intense joy. God's Spirit breathes and moves amidst all of it. "O God, how I thank You for that precious Gift!"
.

4 comments:

grace said...

John,
I could really relate to this phrase:

I've also been thinking more about simple, relational, Christ-demonstrated rhythms of discipleship and less about the notion of starting a movement or community or missional / experimental whatever.

I feel like I am learning to experience the kingdom in the midst of my relationships rather than seeking to find it in more structured forms.

John Lynch said...

Sounds so Jesus-like, doesn't it? Thanks for walking this journey with me, sister.

james said...

Johnny,
I have been so encouraged and inspired everytime we get together.
I'm so thankful that you are back in Phoenix. I'm looking forward to 2008.
Keep abiding in Jesus... For people like me, just as much as yourself.

James

John Lynch said...

Thank you ever so much, bro, for your encouragement to me as well as the inherent encouragement that comes from your passion for Christ and His life. You are truly a gift to me, bro. Eager to hang all together with our families this week or next! Also... I have an idea to bounce off you. Eager to share. Peace!!!