Saturday, August 09, 2008

Making Oneself Ready

I'm learning another simple but powerful principle in this moving toward a supernaturally led and empowered lifestyle of missional destiny. It's this... Sanctification precedes Sending.

2 Timothy 2:21-22 says, "Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work. Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."

The implication is that if we're not prepared, not free from willful compromise, then we will never experience the destiny God has for us.

And Jesus prays in John 17:17-19, "Santify them in the truth; Your word is truth. As you sent Me into the world I also have sent them into the world. For their sakes I sanctify Myself that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth."

There is no compromise in this lifestyle of following Jesus. If I knowingly hold onto compromise (i.e. hold onto sin or selfishness in any area) then I restrict the flow of Christ's life in me and cut off myself from my only Source for life, love, leading, power, etc. No knowledgeable compromise. Not even in the small stuff.

It's not a legalistic thing. That would bring only death. Rather, it's a choice of loves. If I love God and love others, I will surrender the things that oppose those relationships. I want to be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to God, prepared for the destiny of life-giving work he's prepared for me. I want to be ready for what he wants to entrust me with. And I need Christ's person, leading, and supernatural power to go with me in all that.

This breathes new power into Christ's plain challenge in Matthew 5:48, "Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect." I think Jesus might've actually meant what he said.


All to Jesus I surrender
All to Him I freely give
I will ever love and trust Him
In His presence daily live

All to Jesus I surrender
Humbly at His feet I bow
Wordly pleasures all forsaken
Take me Jesus, take me now

All to Jesus I surrender
Make me Savior, wholly Thine
Let me feel the Holy Spirit
Truly know that Thou art mine

All to Jesus I Surrender
Lord, I give myself to Thee
Fill me with Thy love and power
Let Thy blessing fall on me

I surrender all
I surrender all
All to Thee my blessed Savior
I surrender all
.

No comments: