Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Shack

I just finished one of the most powerful novels I've ever encountered. The Shack was written by William Paul Young as a truth-informed work of fiction intended to help his kids encounter God. But, although the events of story aren't factual (the foreword and epilogue are both part of the fictitious story), I'm left feeling that I have just had a deep encounter both with truth and with God, himself.

Through it, I've discovered areas of fear and distrust in my heart and have been challenged deeply to think about God and his involvement in my life and this world in powerfully new ways. Most painful, for me, is the rift this book has helped me discover between the ever-near God my mind believes in and the not-so-near God my heart believes in. It's an open wound that I need him to come and heal.

In some ways, the book is like one of Jesus' parables... A form of teaching that reaches deeper than the mind to answer the painful cries of our wounded and shut-up souls. I encourage you check it out. You won't be disappointed.

(Also... See the author's helpful blog entry explaining the factualness vs. the truthfulness of this book.)

No comments: